Monday, May 22, 2017

Healthy RAW "Snickers cheesecake"


Scrolling through Pinterest and pinning all of the recipes that call themselves healthy versions of naughty treats is a huge past time of mine. I saw a recipe for a 'Healthy Snickers' and decided to give it a go and make some little adjustments to make it my own. 



I'm not supposed to have dates, but I can have a few on a good day so this recipe was mostly created for my family and friends. More experimenting needs to happen for me to find a complete replacement for them so I can eat it all! 

Ingredients and measurements:

Bottom layer
  • 150g dates 
  • 150g pecans 
  • 1 tsp maple syrup 

"Cheese" layer

  • 300g soaked and drained cashews 
  • 1/2 tin of reduced fat coconut milk 
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup 
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract 
  • 3 tbsp coconut oil 
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice 
Caramel sauce 

  • 2 tbsp maple syrup 
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil 
  • 2 tbsp smooth peanut butter
  • 1 tbsp almond butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract 
Chocolate sauce

  • As much as I wanted *hides face 

Toppings

  • 2 handfuls of almonds (chopped into small pieces)
  • 2 handfuls of hazelnuts (chopped into small pieces)



Step 1 |

Blitz up your base layer ingredients. I like to do it in bursts so that you still have some good sized chunks in the mix. I like a variety and more of a wide range of sized pieces of nut. In a lined brownie tray, push the mixture down with your hands and pop in the fridge to set. I put this in the freezer to set quicker!


Step 2 |

Stir up your caramel sauce ingredients together until all has combined. Make sure to give it a good mix to ensure no separation occurs as I found this to happen the first time I trialed this. Also, taste it and add some more maple if it's not sweet enough. Once done you can set it aside making sure to stir it every now and again until you use it. 



Step 3 |

Throw all your "cheese" ingredients into your food processor and wiz until it's smooth as. I found this took quite a while as I hadn't soaked the cashews enough, and having lumps and bits in this section just isn't good. Again, depending on your taste this can be a bit too nutty, so maybe experimenting with some sweetner (whatever you normally like to use) to lighten the nutty taste. I personally love anything nutty so no additional things were put in for the one pictured. 

* Pictured below is halfway through the blitz, and you can clearly see some lumps.


Step 4 |

Take the base out of the fridge or freezer and poor the "cheese" topping on top. I like to make mine as smooth and even as possible, and use my cake icing tool for that but as you can it doesn't go completely smooth. 

The below pictures are showing the time when I didn't put it back in the fridge/freezer. this meant that the "cheese" topping 



Step 5 |

Sprinkle any topping you want. You could go for some chocolate chunks or stick with nuts like what I did. I went for a mixture of almonds and hazelnuts because they're my fav, and the mix of the two is honestly a taste sensation. 

To make it more "Snickers" kind of creation, I bought a bottle of some Sweet Freedom. You can of course you can make your own from scratch, but I saw this in the cupboard and thought I'd try it out. It's all natural and no horrible refined ingredients! 





This is honestly one of the nicest deserts I've made, and got some great feedback from friends and family. I already have something to want to experiment further with, and that's the base. I want to make it thicker and crunchier so am going to try out a vegan shortbread base and see how that goes. Of course i'll let you guys know how it goes!



So, if you're trying to eat healthier or going to a dinner party and want to take something with you that's a healthier alternative, then this is a great recipe for you. It's of course going to be high in fat (good fats) because of all the nuts and nut butter used, but when it's split into servings per person it's fine. I know some people are really scared of eating too much fat but it's all about balance. Don't forget that. 

Let me know what you think and whether you give it a go. I'm already excited to recreate this again this weekend for my sisters birthday, so make sure to follow me on Instagram to see my insta stories. Keep your recipe suggestions coming! More recipes are on the way for you!

Much love and have a fabulous week!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment