Monday, August 1, 2016

Another homemade vegan and gluten free snack

Here's the second vegan and gluten free snack post that saves me on a weekly basis. You guys out there that understand the struggle to find snacks that are both vegan and gluten free. Granted, there are more and more options nowadays, however, I much prefer making my own and having them with me ready. 

I was inspired by the lovely JessBeautician with her melt in the middle cookie recipe. But because I love chocolate so much I couldn't just have one piece in the middle, and went for a chocolate chip style cookie. 

Ingredients used:
2 cups oats (co-operative - gluten free)
1/2 cup oat flour (Red Mill - Holland & Barrett)
2 tbsp almond butter (Meridian)
2 tbsp peanut butter (Meridian)
Chia egg (2 tbsp chia, 6 tbsp water): (Chia Seed Company)
1 tsp vanilla extract (Not pictured but Sainsburys own)
Ombar Coco Mylk Buttons (Not pictured- Ombar)
1 cup Green Origins organic cacao nibs

As my oven works in gas mark I put it onto pre-heat at gas mark 4 (around 180 degrees). Whilst that was on and warming up, I put the oats, oat flour and the nut butters together and mixed well. You've definitely got to use your arm strength here as it can get tough. Once mixed together I added the vanilla, chia egg and cacao nibs and gave it another tough stir. You may find that the mixture gets too tough in which you can either add a couple of tablespoons of water or almond milk.

When the mixtures all combined you can start to roll them out into balls and then flatten them into a round cookie shape. I made some just like that, and then others that had a button in the middle to act as a melt in the middle surprise.

I baked each tray for around 20 minutes. I found that when having over 6 per tray I had to increase the time to 25 minutes.


They're great on the go and really do satisfy a chocolate craving when you get one. As long as they are kept in an air-tight container, they can stay edible for a week. 

Fancy making these? Do you have a similar recipe I could try?

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment