Thursday, February 18, 2016

More skincare, less make up




If you're trying to cover up bad skin with quite a few layers of thick make up, ask yourself why? If your skin was good to start with, wouldn't the process be a whole lot easier? Let's take you back to my younger years when I used to swear by make up wipes and caking on my foundation and concealer to hide my bad skin; I never really thought about why my skin was so dull, spotty and uneven. Sometimes I would even go to the lengths of using a baby wipe (I know, don't even go there) I take my make up off and "clean my face". 

Some lessons I've learnt and the steps I've taken:

~ Have a solid skincare routine in place (cleanse, tone, eye cream, serum, moisturise) give or take a few steps depending on you and your needs. I'm currently using brands like Oskia, Clarins, Una Brennan and Pixi.

~ Double cleansing is a good thing (I do this by firstly taking my make up off with micellar water and then with my cleanser) and I only do this in the evenings. Nivea Micellar water, followed by Oskia or Elemis cleansers.

~ Don't be afraid of acid toners (as they won't burn your face off) but do your research into what type of acid you need for your skin. The Clearasil and Pixi Glow Tonic are my favourite but in search of another to spice up my routine.

~ Say goodbye to face wipes (because they are honestly not good for your skin) smearing makeup around the skin instead of taking it off. They can also be soaked in chemicals that make makeup removal quick and easy, but aren't good for your skin at all

~ Invest in a good serum (as this is where the good stuff happens) being light weight it soaks into the skin quickly, allowing the kick ass ingredients to do their thing. But like acid toners you need to do some research into what active ingredients would be good for your skin. A couple of serums I enjoy using for my skin are Estee Lauder, Una Brennan and Pixi

So, these are a few steps I've taken over the last handful of years that have really helped my skin get in a better condition, and allow me to move away from completely relying on make up. I could easily do more to help my skin, but I think it's good to do things at a nice slow pace so you really get to understand your skins activity and whether or not something works or not.


Have you been inspired to sort your skincare routine out?
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Really good idea for a post, I think skincare and makeup go hand in hand. Everything I use from Clarins seems to work for me but I love the look of the Pixi Glow Tonic.

    The Modern Audrey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clarins is a great brand and love them for skincare and make up. Pixi Glow Tonic is a must as its does wonders for your skin xo

      Delete