Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Discovering my true relationship with beauty



I'm sure I'm not the only one who has make up free days, in which you lounge in the house watching episode after episode on Netflix (ok that bit might just be me) being very relaxed and chilled. My most recent make up free day actually turned into seven full days and still counting. It seems that my body wasn't keen on a new medication I'd been prescribed which resulted in a full body rash and serious facial swelling, meaning; no make up, no skincare, and no Lush cosmetics baths or showers. Yep, the beauty bloggers cold turkey! 

During this period of isolation (literally only leaving the house for doctor and hospital visits) I've really thought about my relationship with beauty. What it is to me, why do I like to have a strict skincare routine morning and night, why do I apply make up, why do I own ten different red lipsticks and five different mascaras? Now being the seventh day without anything beauty coming near my body, I've found some answers to my questions and now very aware of what my relationship with beauty is. 

Feeling insecure isn't nice and the word has been recurring in my mind and linking to the majority of answers to my questions throughout this time. Everyone has aspects of themselves they're a bit more conscious about. Having a rigid skincare routine that my skin loves and is happy with (which has taken years and is still not perfect) enables my face to glow and rarely have blemishes and gives me that boost in order to feel comfortable. Normally my make up is applied to my face generously to exaggerate   specific features and again to help with confidence. Yes, when I'm having a good make up day I feel good, whether it's my brows being 'on point', or a new Charlotte Tilbury lipstick making my lips stand out from the crowd, beauty makes me feel good.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that being stripped of my skincare routine and make up has made me realise that I'm actually addicted to feeling confident and comfortable in my skin. I miss the good feeling and the happy sensation I get from cleansing my skin or applying my base. I honestly can't wait to feel good again and to wear one of my many red lipsticks with pride.

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. I've had three make-up free days this week and I feel great!
    Charlotte // charlottespicks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel nice doesn't it, but do you miss putting make up on? I've really missed the process. xo

      Delete