Thursday, June 25, 2015

My Yoga journey

I've always been a pretty active person, dancing from a very young age and just generally active. About a year an a half ago I was so a bit too into the gym and all I cared about what getting there and spending two and a half hours lifting weights. I was very strict with my food and was very regimented with my gym days splitting them with arm days and leg days etc. I have to admit I was happy then, eating clean and feeling healthy yes I was happy. But I didn't have much spare time to see family or friends because I was so obsessed (yep I said it) I knew something had to change. I started going to the gym less and running instead and wanted to do a 10k in my local area. Just the thought of running a 10k now makes me feel exhausted.

Over the past year I have been in and out of the doctors, hospital, signed off work due to health reasons and being under investigation for this that and the other. Over time my fitness levels has deteriorated and after 4 months of laying on the sofa my doctor advised me to take some Yoga/Pilates classes to help with getting some exercise back into my routine and also to help with general wellbeing. 

Since my first class I've not looked back, and am even doing yoga at home too (Yoga with Adriene on YouTube). I enjoy it so much and feel like I've thoroughly missed out not taking part in this sort of exercise before. I understand that I should do more cardio but right now this is enough for me. Yoga & Pilates allows me to really connect with myself and wash away the day or prepare me for the day. Having danced my whole life my body is more bendy than normal and this kind of exercise allows me to keep that suppleness. I go twice a week to an open class, Yoga on Wednesdays and Pilates on Saturday mornings. In between these classes like I've already said I like to do some Yoga at home on my own with a nice smelling candle and some flowers by my side. 

What I would like to do more than anything is to go to a Yoga retreat. I've heard so much about them and how beautiful the experience was. Recently Boohoo took a hand full of bloggers to a retreat in Ibiza which looks absolutely beautiful! I'm desperate to do the  sunrise Yoga at the top of the shard in London. I'm still going down my Yoga journey and am loving every lesson or session I take part in. And lastly triyoga in London sounds and looks like such a lovely place to take classes, so I'm hoping to make my way there in the summer holidays.

To some people it will sound silly but I do feel like Yoga helps with a lot of my symptoms I have to live with on a daily basis now which the hardcore weight lifting wouldn't help with. My body has changed so much that I have such a different way of life which Yoga works well alongside. 

Do you practice Yoga/Pilates? Have you ever thought about taking part? Comment below so we can geek out together!! 

Thanks for reading
xoxo



6 comments:

  1. nice
    new post: http://melodyjacob1.blogspot.com/2015/06/black-zipper-tote.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to do yoga at home too, feels like I've done some form of exercise even if I haven't sweated it out at the gym for an hour! Especially relaxing before bed. I'd love to join a class but I can't fit it around everything else right now, so I'll settle for YouTube videos in my living room! :) Em x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand. The Yoga with Adriene Channel is great if you haven't already checked it out. xoxo

      Delete
  3. I really want to do Yoga at home too! Thanks for sharing x

    www.anacelinelabod.com
    ps. there’s an Urban Decay Naked Palette Giveaway on my blog if you want to check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! You should definitely give those YouTube videos a go. she does really good beginners videos. xo

      Delete