Sunday, April 5, 2015

Allergy safe Easter rainbow cookies



For most people Easter is when you can scoff as much chocolate as you want and no one judges. This year I'm not one of those people. Since finding out that dairy is really no good for me back in September it's really changed my diet as you can imagine, and for someone who loves their food has been quite tough. Obviously being a foodie I found a way around my favourite meals and snacks and have a yummy cookie recipe to share with you as my Easter treat.

Ingredients: 200g Dairy free butter, 300g Caster sugar, 2 medium eggs, 300g Gluten free Self raising flour, 1 teaspoon Xanthan gum.

Additional ingredients (if you want them gluten free do not use the lotus spread): Sprinkles, Dairy free chocolate chipsLotus caramel spreadJelly beans, almond milk.


Pre cooking steps: Pre-hreat the oven to 200C or gas mark 6 and line your baking trays.

Step one:
I tend to leave the butter out of the fridge until room temperature or you could pop it in a bowl and in the microwave until soft. Using an electric whisk cream up the butter and sugar together. 

Step two:
Pop both eggs into the mixture and mix a little more until completely blended. 

Step three:
Next is all your dry ingredients; I like to add in the flour a little at a time mixing as you go. To complete the dry step add in your teaspoon of Xanthan gum (this enables the mixture to hold together because you are using gluten free flour). If it seems too dry pop in a drop of almond milk however be careful not to make it too sticky as it will be difficult to handle. 

Step four:
Throw in all of your additional ingredients. I feel that more is better as theres nothing worse than eating a cookie with only a few choc chips in. So I added 3 packets of jelly beans, 3 packets of white choc chips and some sprinkles.

Step five:
I used a table spoon to pick up my desired amount for the cookies, I like a big thick cookie so can only put 5 on each tray. For the cookies that I stuffed caramel spread into I just flattened the mixture in my hand, popped the caramel in the middle and covered like a parcel. I made two batches, one that was just dairy free and one that was gluten free as well.

If you make these cookies following this recipe I would love to see them so please tag me in it! 

Happy Easter all, eat an Easter egg or two for me :)

xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment