Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Allergy safe Marble cake



Having to be dairy free isn't the easiest thing sometimes, especially when all you want to do is indulge in cake and you can't just go out and buy one from a shop. This means I have to bake often to keep this urge at bay, which occurs a lot. My sister's gluten free (also not from choice) so I tend to bake for both our needs to allow us both some indulgence every now and again. I must stress that this is a Sainsbury's recipe however I've just adapted it to mine and my sisters dietary needs. This can be adapted further depending on your needs and I have used an egg replacement before which has also worked fine.

Ingredients (dairy free and gluten free):
225g Dairy free butter
225g Caster sugar
4 eggs
225g Gluten free self raising flour
3 tbsp of Soya milk/almond milk
1tsp Vanilla extract
2 tbsp cocoa powder/raw cacao
1 tsp Xanthan gum

Steps:
1. Your oven needs to be pre-heated to 180C/160C for fan ovens/gas 4. I used any tin I had in the cupboard and this mixture was fine in it. To be honest I totally winged this step so I will let you do the same ;) . Sainsbury's recommends a 20cm cake tin. I line my tins with greaseproof paper as I find it the easiest rather than buttering the tin and all that.
2. Beat the butter and sugar together until smooth and creamy, add eggs to the mixture one at a time and mixture after each one. FOLD the flour through, then add milk and vanilla extract, Xanthan gum and mix until mixture is completely smooth.*You tube video showing how to fold flour HERE.
3. Divide the mixture into two and put in separate bowls. Stir in the cocoa powder into one of the mixtures. Have two spoons and use to randomly dollop the chocolate and vanilla mixture into the tin. When it has covered the tin and you have used it all, take a knife or a kebab stick and swirl it around a few times to create the marble effect.
4. Bake your yummy cake for 45 mins or until a skewer or knife can be put into the centre of the cake and pulled out to reveal its clean. 

The obvious things to remember: Wash your hands first, keep in an airtight container for upto 3 days, and if freezing it can be kept for upto 3 months.

Now what are you waiting for????? Go make it and enjoy the fluffiest cake ever!! Please tag me in any photos taken of your marble cakes, and if using hashtags please use #JPMarbleCake

Much love
xoxo

4 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous recipe, I bet the cake tastes amazing! x

    The Belle Narrative

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really yummy! You should try it :) xo

      Delete
  2. This looks SO good!! Marble cake is so pretty, i've never thought to bake my own but I definitely will now!

    www.luciaflorence.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear that! Give this recipe a go and let me know how it goes xo

      Delete