Wednesday, October 22, 2014

It's all in the blend


I remember back in the day when I was starting secondary school I used to only wear a white and a bright blue eyeshadow. I would only apply it to my eyelids and not blend in any way and of course, I used to use the free sponge applicator. On special occasions I used to have half white and half blue...cool ey!?

Oh how times have changed, and over the past four years I have tried and tried to perfect my blending technique, as I feel there is nothing worse than eyeshadow packed on without a good blend. I was reading a blog one day and watching the Youtube video that was linked which showed how easy is was to blend out your eyeshadow. Since then it was my mission to get it right. 

I purchased the MAC 217 as beauty bloggers at the time were raving about it and I have to say it has been one of my holy grail eyeshadow brushes since. It is so versatile that you can put eyeshadow on the lid by just sweeping it across the lid, or it can be also be used to blend. However my favourite thing to use this brush for is applying my crease colour in the socket. The bristles are fine, dense, and the oval shape fits perfectly into my eye socket. Using a circular motion and going into the nose and out it does most of the work for you and really does blend your shades together nicely. As I use this for my crease I could never use it to blend my eyeshadow up out of my socket as it already had colour on it and its just too much of a faff to wash and wait, so naturally I needed another brush. 

Top brush - MAC 217. Bottom brush - NYX Shading brush

Instead of getting another MAC 217 I spotted a NYX shading brush in a make up outlet store in Wales whilst on a visit. The thing that attracted me to this brush was the wideness of the brush, and how packed in the bristles were yet how soft it was. Its very flexible and less dense than the MAC 217 and feels nice and soft on the skin, and when being used it gently pushes the shadow out and away leaving a lovely blended effect. Since my first time of using it, I knew that this was going to be used everyday. 

The long story short: Apply lid colour with any flat shadow brush. Crease colour with the MAC 217.  NYX shading brush with a little champange shade from the Urban Decay Naked palette on it which I find helps to blur out the edge of the shadow. 

Some of you might think I use these brushes for the wrong things, but I do believe that brushes like this can have multiple uses and everyone gets along with different things better than others. 

I am on the look out for some more eye brushes and would love some recommendations from you. I have been lusting over Bobbi Brown Sweep, Smudge and Shadow brushes on their website for a while but haven't been brave enough to part with the money. 

Thanks so much for reading, hope your having a great hump day!

Much love
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment